But to keep you motivated there's nothing like actual fitness equipment.
Take me for example. I lóve my crosstrainer. Almost as much as I hate it. It's exactly what I was looking for in my fitness equipment. An effective cocktail of love and hate.
Love because it's an easy work-out, and hate because it's just as boring as watching paint dry.
Why have a home gym?I'll tell you. Because it's easy!
Having your own home gym is like running: it's an easy way to get your daily exercise.All you have to do is get into your sports clothes, and start working out. And you don't have to worry about closing times. If you have a home gym you can work out whenever it suits yóu. It's great if you don't have much time. Let's say you've got 35 minutes before you have to pick up your son from soccer practice. That's just enough time to hit your homegym.
Homegym versus The gym
My 18-year old daughter got herself a membership for a gym, that can be used by all family members. At first I got all excited. I pictured myself taking some yoga lessons, using her membership card.
But when push came to shove I ran into my old problem: I couldn't bring myself to go.
It was just too much effort to get in my car, drive to the gym, and then exercise. Instead I went for a run.
How to create your very own home gym?
My personal home gym may be a little bit sad. It consists of my crosstrainer and two pink dumb bells. But hey, maybe you're here wondering: 'How in the world am I going to create my own home gym?!'
Here's your answer!
Create your own home gym with these!
- A threadmill. I would like one of these. But since I can run outside I feel a crosstrainer is a better option. Because then at least I'm doing some crosstraining too.
- Get yourself an elliptical trainer. I bought mine at a local thrift shop for 45 USD.
- Dumb bels. Compared to the threadmill and the elliptical trainer they're a cheap and easy addition to your home gym.
- A Dynaband, also known as 'resistance band'.
- Rob your kids, and steal their jumping rope.
- A yoga mat to do some exercising while lying on the ground,
- One of those stepping thingies.
- A fitness ball. Can't afford one? Grab one of your kids'skippy balls.
- A trampoline. With any luck you've already got one of those for the kids.
Have a happy work-out! Just don't let the kids see you stole their toys. In that case, quickly go for a run.