Mental victory

Today I decided I was ready for a new challenge: I was gonna run fourteen kilometers to a farm where they serve coffee. I have run sixteen kilometers but never in one go: I always ran eight kilometers, had a coffee break and then ran home eight kilometers. So this was something new, I was gonna go where I had never gone before! So I felt kinda nervous.

And even though I can run the eight kilometers (five miles) to Westendorp, and their nice pancake restaurant where I always have my coffeebreak, quite well, I was now plagued by doubts and insecurities. Just the thought of having to run another six kilometers after Westendorp made my legs tremble with anticipated fatigue, and didn't I feel a cramp coming on?! And in my mind I heard Frank Sinatra singing: 'Yes there were times, I'm sure you knew, when I bit off more than I could chew!'

Then suddenly Frank was interrupted by the saying: 'You have nothing to fear but fear itself!' With sudden clarity I realised it wasn't my body giving me trouble running fourteen kilometers, it was my pesky mind! It kept whispering: 'Are you sure you can do this? It's awfully far! I don't think you can do this.' It's the same voice that keeps pestering me as a mom. Realizing this I said: 'Yeah I heard you! So now just shut up, because I cán do this! I'm doing it!'

So not only did I conquer fourtheen kilometers, I also conquered myself.

And my victory tasted sweet. Especially with the cup of coffee I had at the coffee farm.


Suzi said...

Great run! Isn't the reward that much better when you have accomplished something you thought was going to rough?

ShutUpandRun said...

You are SO right. The mind psychs us out. I think more than half or running is the mental/spiritual/emotional component. Good for you running the 14km.

Teresa said...

You are definitely right about the mind thing. I have to give myself regular mental pep talks. Great job on your run!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Congrats on conquering 14K! It's a lot of fun to run farther than you've ever run before. Well... mostly after you've accomplished it, it feels great! : )

Berry Girl said...

A Coffee Farm? That's FANTASTIC. Really. I need one of those around here. Or a Starbucks Farm. Or just a Starbucks.

I hear ya on the mental thing - don't "they" say that running is something like 99% mental, and the other 1% is in your head?

Really enjoying reading your posts - I love to run too :)

© all rights reserved
made with by templateszoo